Here is a quick run-down of some essential sentences and phrases that might be useful when taking public transport.
- Xagee tagaysaa? = Where are you going?
(answer: ___ tagayaa = I am going to ___)
- Gorma tagayaa? = When is it going?
(potential answers could involve be iminka/now, maanta/today, galab/afternoon, habeen/evening, beeri/tomorrow, subax/morning, or a number plus saac/o’clock)
- Xaggee ayaan tigidh ka soo iibsan karaa? = Where can I buy a ticket?
- Waa immisa lacagta busku? = How much is the bus ticket (cost)?
(the answer will probably involve numbers)
- Immisa ayaa inoo jirta? = How far is it?
(the answer will probably be either saacado/hours or kilometres, with numbers)
- Ma busas kale ayaan ku baddelayaa? = Do I have to change buses?
- Xagee ka heli kara ___? = Where can I find ___?
(alternatively, perhaps a bit simpler: ___ meeye? = Where is ___?)
- soco dalka = travel
- dalxiis = visit
- bus istob = bus stop
- halkan = here
- bus(ka) = bus
(buska danbe = the next bus)
- boyad = truck
- gaadhi = car
As always, I am a beginner, and would appreciate any comments/corrections!